The concept of the metaverse continues to cause a stir and analysts see it as one of the key trends for the next few years. Many of the largest organizations in the world have changed their business models and made a complete pivot to prepare for this future. Building and defining the metaverse will be a long process, the results of which will likely not be visible for a long time. However, the statistics presented in this compilation show that efforts around the metaverse have not declined, despite the slowdown in the market.
Market capitalization: current data and projections
- In 2021, the market capitalization of Web 2.0 metaverse companies was $ 14.8 trillion, according to data by Statista.
- The market size of the sector is $ 478 billion in 2022, an increase of 22% compared to 2021. projections of Statista indicate that this figure is expected to reach $ 678.80 billion in revenue in 2030.
- The figures projected by other analysts are much more optimistic: Bloomberg, for example, estimates that the global turnover of the sector could scope $ 800 billion by 2024.
- Furthermore, according to Statista, 33% of the companies interviewed are ready to invest 10% to 20% of their budget in the metaverse, 17% say that it is a priority investment. 6% of companies are ready to dedicate 6% or less of their total budget to it starting in 2022.
- The regional analyzes show that the North American market should experience rapid growth thanks to the presence of large companies. Plus, as of December 2021, 74 percent of American adults said consider to enter the metaverse.
- Metaverse growth in Asia Pacific is expected to be just as rapid, which is attributed to steady economic developments and the growing adoption of digitization in various countries such as China, India and Japan.
- In Europe, we are seeing the beginning of growth in this sector: the European augmented reality / virtual reality market is expected to grow from $ 2.8 billion in 2021 to $ 20.9 billion in 2025, while Meta Labs intends to create 10,000. jobs across Europe related to the metaverse.
Asset sales in the metaverse
- The market for the sale of real estate in the metaverse is dominated by the “Big Four”, ie Sandbox, Decentral, Cryptovoxel And Sleepywhich house a total of 268,645 pitches, all of different sizes.
- $ 501 million was expenses in the real estate metaverse in 2021.
- Real estate and NFTs on Decentraland generated nearly 75,000 sales totaling $ 25 million.
- Sandbox holds the record for the most expensive virtual land sold: in November 2021 Republic Realm bought properties worth $ 4.3 million.
The competitive landscape of the Metaverse
Nearly 500 companies are involved in the construction of the architecture of the metaverse. Investments in research and development and other advanced technologies such as AI, cloud and machine learning (ML) and strategic decisions such as mergers and acquisitions are the main tools to acquire a significant share of the sector.
The metaverse landscape is dominated by tech giants, venture capitalists and big brands.
A number of big tech names are looking to the metaverse as a tool to expand their reach. The main companies active in this segment are Tencent Holdings, Half, Alphabet, Nvidia, Roblox, Microsoft, which comprises, Queppelin, Ali Baba, Netasi, sony…
- Meta, who confirmed his intention to become a leader in this field with the name change, made a $ 10 billion investment in the metaverse.
- Microsoft acquired Action And Blizzard for about 68 billion dollars. Separately, the company has signed a $ 22 billion deal with the US military for mixed reality technology.
- Roblox is one of the platforms with growing popularity: in 2022, users spent more than 652 million dollars on Robux (the currency used on Roblox); 33 million people attended Lil Nas X’s virtual concert on the platform, which has over 200 million active players.
- Nearly 50,000 content creators have used the beta version of Omniverse, Nvidia’s platform.
- Along with the expected release of the PlayStation VR2 headset later this year, Sony has invested $ 1 billion in Epic Games after an initial investment of $ 250 million in 2020.
Venture capital company:
A recent report McKinsey showed that venture capitalists poured $ 120 billion into companies willing to develop metaverse technologies and infrastructure in the first five months of 2022.
- The NFT market Offshore raised $ 300 million with a valuation of $ 13.3 billion in a Series C funding round led by Paradigm And Coated.
- The Metaverse technology company Unlikely raised $ 150 million led by Andreessen Horowitz (a16z) and Soft bank.
- The entire web3 heritage of Andreesen Horrowitz gets up to $ 7.6 billion after launching a $ 4.5 billion fund in May 2022, which it intends to distribute to crypto startups and other related ventures. Games Fund One, its $ 600 million fund, focuses on investments in the Metaverse’s gaming sector.
- Yuga Labs (creator of the Bored Ape Yacht Club) raised $ 450 million with a $ 4 billion valuation to build a virtual world.
- The Sandbox received $ 93 million from SoftBank.
It now seems impossible for big brands to ignore the metaverse, and many of them have launched various initiatives in the metaverse, sometimes in collaboration with big names in technology.
- Hyundai Motor Company created Mobility Adventure, a Roblox metaverse showing Hyundai Motor’s assets and future mobility solutions;
- Nike has filed four patent applications for downloadable virtual goods operating in the metaverse;
- During the virtual exhibition Gucci Garden, the digital iteration of the Dionysus bag with the bee, sold for a starting price of 475 Robux (about $ 6). After the Expo ended, the metaverse data reveals that retailers started buying the item and one user bought it for 350,000 Robux.
- Coke recently auctioned and sold an NFT for the astronomical sum of $ 575,000.
- Balenciaga partnered with Epic Games for the launch of its latest collection.
The impact of the metaverse on various sectors, unthinkable until a few years ago, is already being felt. Either way, organizations and companies that take a strategic approach will now be in the best position to take advantage of the future.
Follow our affiliate links:
- To buy cryptocurrencies in the SEPA zone, in Europe and French citizensvisit Coinhouse
- To buy cryptocurrency in Canadavisit Bitbuy
- To generate interest with your bitcoinsgo to the BlockFi website
- To protect or store your cryptocurrenciesyou get Ledger or Trezor wallets
- To trade your cryptocurrencies anonymouslyinstall the NordVPN app
To invest in cryptocurrency mining or masternodes:
To accumulate coins while playing:
- In poker on the CoinPoker gaming platform
- To a global fantasy football on the Sorare platform
Stay informed with our free weekly newsletter and to our social networks: