The main structuring drivers of digital transformation are the continuous increase in the processing power of available information, the removal of time and distance constraints, the new possibilities of collaboration and the drop in communication and interaction costs and, more generally, transaction costs.
These great engines are explained by 4 laws:
- Moore’s law, according to which the number of transistors on a chip will double every two years.
- Kryder’s law, that memory would increase exponentially in the near future.
- Robert’s law, according to which the cost of data transmission over the network would decrease every year.
- Metcalfe’s law, according to which the utility of a network is proportional to the square of the number of its users (N²)
These great digital mutations occur every 10 years. 1944, with the first computer, 1954 with the mainframe, 1964 with the mini computer, 1974 with the microcomputer, 1984 with the Mac, 1994 with the Web, 2004 with the social networks. Since 2014 we have entered the age of the Internet of Me. The next tectonic movement will begin in 2024, with the massive decentralization of everything.
These tectonic movements are orchestrated by the new way of accessing information and communicating. A well-known Chinese proverb positions the revolution we are experiencing very well.
It says the following:
“Tell me and I forget
Show me and I’ll remember it
Involve me and I understand “
Tell me and I forget
These are traditional media. This approach is suitable for mass marketing. They are the press and the radio. They transmit lyrics or sound sequences. These communication modes are linear and induce a highly structured and reductive mode of operation. The important point is the non-interactivity, the listeners react little and with difficulty, and not among themselves. The typical example of this mode of communication is radio.
Show me and I’ll remember it
It is audiovisual with television but also cinema. The power of the image is considerably greater than that of the text and sound because it is more emotional and causes quick and reckless reactions. No interactivity and more superficiality than with writing. In a society increasingly oriented towards efficiency at the lowest cost, the audiovisual has become the fundamental means of communication, because it is richer and more efficient. Television is the typical example of this mode of communication.
Involve me and I understand
This is the fundamental contribution of the Internet to radio and television. The wealth of the audiovisual medium remains limited, because it makes the user passive. On the contrary, the new information technologies make it possible to involve the individual more, to make him more active and responsible, therefore more autonomous and efficient.
This is where all the originality of these new media lies, whose impact on our society is easily imaginable. Dialogue becomes real and the creation of value will depend on loyalty. This is only the David effect, there is also the Goliath effect, the most efficient monopoly, manipulation and standardization (Coca-Cola, McDo …).
Tectonic movements from 1985 to 2020
The effects of media tectonics first made themselves felt on the contents which, becoming digital, are at the origin of a transformation of the equipment necessary for their return made available to the general public. This content-associated equipment required new infrastructure that allowed exchanges between individuals to be much more efficient. These new infrastructures therefore required new services which in turn required content.
The 4 tectonic plates have already profoundly transformed many sectors of activity:
- The content began to be digitized in 1985 with CD-COM and the Mac interface
- The equipment began to transform in the 1990s with interactive, high-definition television
- Infrastructure began to transform with the web in 1995
- Services began transforming with search engines in 2000
Since 2000 we have again returned to a new series of tectonic movements that have followed one another in the following way:
The beginning of the new era of content was ruled by social networks (2005-2010)
The participatory functions, the freedom of expression characteristic of social networks have freed the voice of consumers not only towards the brand but above all between them.
The stakes of this new paradigm go far beyond the structure of the internet as brands will have to go through:
- from a transactional logic to a conversational logic: it is now difficult to guarantee a sale without having begun to listen carefully to the needs of the consumer and a personalized response to them
- from a logic of distance and anonymity to a logic of proximity: from the standardized hotline to humanized conversation
- from broadcast marketing (TV screen, print spot, web banner, etc.) to engagement marketing: providing a specific team and organization to a customer
- and probably from consumer values to moral values and social responsibility: will price promotions address the moral and social commitments of companies?
The beginning of the new era of smartphones and ATAWAD (2010-2015)
The new consumer electronics have enabled eager customers to access the services they need not just immediately, but anytime, anywhere and wherever they are. Movable objects have made us discover with ATAWAD that we can act simultaneously and from the same place on our professional sphere and on our private sphere, intervene from the office and from the home or from our place of leisure, of commerce.
The beginning of the new era of the IoT with the IP atmosphere (2015-2020)
With Atmosphere IP and ATAWAD, the extension of digital network infrastructures of all kinds, in particular wireless, has allowed the consumer to affirm that he can say: “my home, my office, my places of leisure or consumption are not they are more inside their walls, they are where I am… and my relationships are always within the reach of my voice or my mail. ”Cell phones have played an increasingly important role.
This era was marked by the emergence of the IoT with the following characteristics:
- The IoT encourages communication between various devices. Physical devices can stay connected and provide full transparency with less inefficiency and better quality.
- physical objects connect digitally with a wireless infrastructure, so there is a great deal of automation and control.
- More information helps you make better decisions.
The next tectonic movements should be as follows:
- Augmented Me Internet (2020-2025)
- The massive decentralization of everything with Web3 (2025-2030)
The internet of me
The Internet of Augmented Me or abbreviated I.am defines a living environment in which the consumer citizen has control of his choices and directly influences the production of goods and services through electronic interactions, wherever he is.
This universe satisfies the primary needs of individuals and their desires for fulfillment. It is based on combinations of advanced technologies, which mix digital, quantum physics and biology.
With the Internet of Me, we are now in the third wave where players will no longer be obsessed with listening and will focus on actually making transactions.
These effective operations involve sufficient involvement of potential customers for them to take action. Trade will be all the more effective especially if it listens, it gives the possibility to demand to express oneself with confidence, individually, anywhere and at any time.
This ubiquity trade takes full advantage of the network economy, the possibility of aggregating offers in a logic of consumption, freeing oneself from the constraints of production logic, fully relying on the power of involvement of the unimedia.
Engagement is essential because in a situation where everything in the world is just a click away, what is in short supply is everyone’s time, what is precious is being able to capture someone’s attention so that they are willing to take some. of his time to consider an offer.
The massive decentralization of everything
25 digital innovations will be at the heart of the new wave of digital innovations:
- AR / VR
- The autonomy of everything
- Global connectivity
- The CAD
- Edge computing
- energy collection
- New sources of energy (hydrogen, solar, etc.)
- artificial intelligence
- Decentralized identification
- 3D printing
- Natural interfaces
- The Internet of Behaviors
- Internet of the body
- the lot
- The Metaverse
- The new mobility
- quantum computing
- Robotics as a service
- Cyber security and resilience
Over the next 10 years, the impact of this digital wave will completely transform business models, immersive commerce, industry, agriculture, super cities, logistics, smart buildings, supply chain, etc.
The barbarians will take the opportunity to replace the current emperors
The catalyst for this new digital wave will be Web3.
Web3 is the decentralized internet that replaces the current web. The web3 architecture is designed to be a decentralized network of peer-to-peer nodes. The web3 stack consists of the protocols, standards, and interfaces that form the backbone of this new type of Internet.
Web3 is an initiative to shape the future of the Internet. It’s the logical next step to give users full control over their content, digital properties, and digital personalities in the digital realm.