Difficult to escape the metaverse for several months, as the topic is at the center of discussions. A few days ago, Carrefour he turned on Twitter with a video present virtual job interviews with a very “Second Life” aspect. While some are very critical of a Web3 that is still far from existing, Gartner is much more optimistic about our future uses. The consulting firm estimates that in 2026, 25% of people will spend at least one hour a day in the metaverse. It remains to be seen how and what to do. As explained in a recent interview, Christophe Cotin Valois, CEO of Welcome Max, ” uses in the metaverse remain unclear. Many will break their teeth and it seems likely that use will be where it is not intended, as is the case with augmented reality which today is mainly used in education and industry. “
While the contours of these future immersive virtual worlds remain to be defined, the race for innovation (and communication) is already well underway for brands. The human resources communication operation for Carrefour on The Sandbox (where the group bought a plot of land surface equivalent to 30 supermarkets“), Many brand experiences on Roblox (Nike, Gucci, Ralph Lauren …) or even partnerships between Fortnite and Balenciaga or Air Jordan … Not to mention the” Metaverse Fashion Week “which took place in March on Decentraland, with Tommy in particular Hilfiger, Estée Lauder and Dolce & Gabbana. Collaborations are numerous, especially on the side of large-scale distribution and retail.
You can’t talk about the metaverse without addressing two other topics: NFTs (see our guide on this topic) and cryptocurrencies, which are currently the most advanced consumer aspects – or at least those that generate the most business revenues.
Without prejudice to the rest of the story, where are we currently on these matters? We have selected 12 key figures that provide a clearer idea of the current importance of the metaverse and NFTs.
- Meta announced the hiring of 10,000 people in the next 5 years in the European Union to work on the subject.
- 62% of the French do not see the meaning of virtual worlds according to a barometer by the research agency iligo.
- 25% of people will spend 1 hour a day in the metaverse by 2026, according to Gartner
- According to the company Grand View Research (GVR), the turnover linked to the metaverse could reach 678 billion dollars by 2030or an average canceled growth rate approaching 40%.
- Bloomberg sees even bigger, with an estimated income of $ 800 billion in 2024.
- The Roblox platform claims 54 million daily active users in the first quarter of 2022. The number of monthly active users was 202 million as of April 2021.
- The Sandbox, for its part, capped to 350,000 monthly active users.
- During its second season, The Sandbox spawned 4.7 million visitsfor 1.12 million hours played (i.e. less than 15 minutes on average per session).
- The Sandbox is still rated at 4 billion dollars.
- The most expensive NFT in the world has been sold $ 91.8 million. This is The Merge, a work of art by PAK, which was purchased by 28,983 collectors.
- NFT sales reported $ 25 billion in 2021, of which over 20 billion for the second half alone. This figure did not reach $ 100 million in 2020.
- In total, according to DappRadar, more than 28 million portfolios traded NFTs in 2021, up from 545,000 in 2020.