In a new report, The wunderkind Thompson draws up an interim report on the reputation of the metaverse and its resonance with consumers. “New Realities: Into the Metaverse and Beyond” it is there to make what concerns this still too vague concept more accessible and understandable.
A new report by Wunderman Thompson
The Wunderman Thompson Intelligence agency will publish a new analysis this year. It focuses on the very rapid evolution of a science fiction concept, towards a reality that turns our daily lives upside down day after day. The survey, titled “New Realities: Into the Metaverse and Beyond,” was the subject of a study conducted in March among more than 3,000 people aged 16 to 65 in the US, US, UK and China. Note that this comes 9 months after a first report on the matter. Today, the agency shows that awareness of the metaverse has more than doubled in less than a year. While less than a third (32%) had heard of the term in July 2021, as of March 2022 nearly three-quarters (74%) were familiar with the term.
A concept to be democratised, again and again
Awareness is key. However, understanding remains low. The study reveals that there is a lack of clarity on what the term means. Only 15% of respondents say they know what it is and can explain it to someone else. Even if they can’t explain the metaverse, consumers believe it promises to have a significant impact on our lives. And among those who know what the metaversetwo-thirds think it will change ” life “. In fact, 74% say the metaverse is the future for them. And 66% of them think it is significant for a life change.
Sectors of activity disturbed
The area where consumers expect to see innovation is entertainment. 90% of respondents share this opinion. This sector is followed by advertising and retail. While many are still evaluating the impact of metaverse Through the prism of the screens, this latest companion report addresses the significant changes it could have on the “REAL” life. New data comes to quantify the impact consumers project on some key areas. Most believe that the metaverse could have a major impact on retail, finance, health & wellness, food & drink, the world of work, sports & entertainment, fashion or even beauty. Let’s look at some numbers:
- Retail : 86% of people think the metaverse could impact retail. Of those familiar with the Metaverse, 70% think it could be their favorite place to shop. And 68% think it’s the future of online shopping.
- health and wellness : 81% of people believe the metaverse could impact the health care industry. A surprising figure, given that the virtual does not have the same health problems as the real one. But respondents believe that digital tools can help improve physical and mental health in the physical world. In the UK, US and China, 81% say they will go digital to relax. 55% say they are physically healthier thanks to technology. And 56% say they are mentally healthier thanks to technology.
- Food beverage : 76% of people think the metaverse could also impact restaurants and bars. In support of these claims, the report reviews the cases of Coca-Cola, Chipotle, McDonald’s and The Sims.
- The job’s world : As the metaverse reaches $800 billion in global revenue by 2024, according to Bloomberg, companies are investing. From hiring talent and building dedicated teams to recruiting the best architects to design virtual venues, no expense is spared. Meta spends more than 10 billion dollars and Disney, Nike or even WPP are recruiting talent to develop their vision of the metaverse.
- Sports and entertainment : The global entertainment industry is no stranger to new technologies. Today, advertisers like Sony, Manchester City or Pooja Entertainment are doubling down on their inventiveness in the metaverse to seduce their target audience.
Want to know more? Find Wunderman Thompson’s full study below!
Download the full report
“New Realities: Into the Metaverse and Beyond” it also comes back to NFTs, which are experiencing a big boom. In fact, NFT sales reached $25 billion in 2021, up from $95 million in 2020, according to DappRadar’s January 2022 estimates. This report also examines the consequences for our society. In fact, we could think that all these virtual initiatives could force us to stay at home. However, 53% of respondents agree that the metaverse ultimately it can bring people together. And 52% think it has the potential to be more inclusive than the physical or offline world. While 76% think it could have an impact on Governments.
The metaverse is here and already changing our perception of reality. And reports that Wunderman Thompson Intelligence present have the ambition to help all interested parties to participate in this great adventure.
To find out more about the agency, go to its French page!
Wunderman Thompson France agency page